Austin Foodie Bits: Week of March 21, 2010
South by Southwest is over. Did you survive? While I’m happy for the business SXSW brings to our town as well as the new and old friends alike that come into town, I’ll confess that I’m looking forward to Austin slowing back down a bit as spring showers us with its full glory. Thanks to the beautiful weather food events are multiplying like the proverbial bunnies. While this week takes things a bit slowly, be sure to look ahead to the following three weeks and you’ll see what I mean. And while you may be just recovering from the crazy events of the last couple of weeks, you’re sure to find an activity or two to lure you out. Before we move onto this week’s events, I’d like to take a moment for a bit of shameless self promotion.
Become a Fan of Austin Food Lovers’ Companion on Facebook
When I launched the Austin Food Lovers’ Companion I also set up a Facebook fan page so I can provide updates on interesting events and purveyors as I come across them during the week. If you’re on Facebook and would find daily updates helpful, I’d love for you to become a fan. I promise not to be too chatty and will do all I can to be helpful and useful in my updates. I’m also going to be setting up photo galleries of restaurants and food shops around town where we can all share our photos of our favorite experiences. My goal is to create a spot where a community of Austin Food Lovers can gather and enjoy our wonderful food town together. Please join the fun over on Facebook.
Be Spontaneous: This Week’s Events
- March 23: The Traveling Vegan (Cooking Class) – If you are a vegan or just want to know more about vegan cooking, this class will take you on a whirl-wind tour of international vegan cooking. Make New Mexican Style Corn Soup, Thai Salad in Butter Lettuce Cups with Cilantro-Lime Dressing, Moroccan Date and Orange Salad, and Hawaiian Grilled Pineapple Tofu Skewers with Coconut Ginger Marinade. $65/person. 6:30 pm – 9:00 pm. Whole Food Culinary Center. Register online.
- [Great Value] March 24: Shopping, Cupcakes, and Wine – House Wine and The Cupcake Bar are at it again, pairing wine and cupcakes for an evening of fun. To up the ante this time, they are throwing in shopping opportunities with some of Austin’s local boutiques. This is a perfect activity for a mid-week Girls’ Night Out. $13/person. 4:30 pm – 7:30 pm. E-mail email@example.com, call 512.903.0187, or reply to the Facebook event page to RSVP.
- [Great Value] March 25: Kosher Wine Seminar and Tasting – If you’ve ever wondered what makes wine kosher or even kosher for Passover, this tasting is for you. Join Wayne Feldman of Royal Wine Corporation to get the scoop on kosher wine along with a bit of its history. You’ll taste different kosher wines and learn more about the varietals and winemaking processes that create them. 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm. Twin Liquors Marketplace Hancock.
- March 25: The Casserole Queens Think Spring (Cooking Class) – Meet the local duo whose casseroles are so fantastic they competed against Bobby Flay in a Throwdown. In this class they will go beyond casseroles to a full spring menu and offer some creative guidance on setting your spring table. $45/person. 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm. Whole Food Culinary Center. Register online.
- March 27: Stryke Dairy Farm Tour –With true farmer innovation, Bob and Darlene Stryk have found the niche direct markets that enable them to continue the Texas diary farm tradition. They milk their Jerseys on a small, intimate scale and offer raw milk to a small but growing and passionate group of locals. Thanks to their efforts they have built a loyal clientele for their own hand-crafted cheese, including a traditional Czech specialty, ‘koch kase.’ Join the Slow Food Austin folks and other supporters of local farms on a tour of the dairy. You’ll be able to taste the milk and take home a sampling of dairy goodies. 11:00 am – 2:00 pm. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate ticket purchase.
- [Great Value] March 27: Sierra Nevada Beer Tasting – Sample a collection of beers from Sierra Nevada including Glissade, Kellerweis, and Bigfoot Barleywine. 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm. Twin Liquors Marketplace Galleria.
- March 27: Meringues (Cooking Class) – Meringues are a true classic but they can be a little tricky if you haven’t worked with them before. In this hands-on class you’ll explore different types of meringues and get to eat the fruits of your labor. $65/person. 10:00 am – 1:00 pm. Central Market North Lamar. Reserve online.
Plan Ahead: Events in the Next 3 Weeks
- March 30: Hudson’s on the Bend Fling into Spring Wine Dinner – call 512. 266.1369 for more information
- Mach 30: Taste with the Winemaker – Steve Beckman of Beckman Vineyards
- March 30: Tapas! (Cooking Class)
- April 1: The Engine 2 Diet (Cooking Class)
- April 3-4, 10-11,17-18: Bluebonnet Wine and Cheese Trail
- April 3: Funky Chicken Coup Tour
- April 3: Beer Tastings with Shiner and Bridgeport
- April 3: Easter Egg Hunt at Jack Allen’s Kitchen
- April 6: Treaty Oak Rum Paired Dinner
- April 6: What’s New Cupcake (Cooking Class)
- April 8: MAX’s Wine Dive Legend’s Lunch with Sweet Leaf Tea CEO Clayton Christopher
- April 8: Winemaker Dinner Series – Pacific Rim Winery
- April 10: Springdale Farm Tour
- April 10: The Flavors of Fresh Herbs (Cooking Class)
- April 10 and 17: Wine and Wildflowers Luncheon
- April 11: Kocurek Family Pork Charcuterie class – call 512.291.4461 for more information
- April 12: Bites from the Sea (Cooking Class)
- April 15 – 18: 25th Annual Hill Country Food & Wine Festival
- [Great Value] April 16: Friday Night Tasting – French Wines and Cheeses
- April 16: Spring Carillon Dinner (Cooking Class)
- April 18: Kocurek Family French Charcuterie class – call 512.291.4461 for more information
- April 18: Dai Due Boggy Creek Farm Picnic